Saturday, December 13, 2008

Waiting

As we wait for the momentous climax of the advent season, many other people sit waiting too.

But not for Christmas.

They wait in line for medication. ARV’s. Drugs needed each month in order to delay the effects of the AIDS virus.

Last week when I travelled to Dar es Salaam I visited an AIDS clinic. People sat waiting for their medications.

Waiting and waiting.

I met a young Maasai girl who had been waiting for hours. She hadn’t eaten. She hadn’t moved. She lay in the grass, waiting.

She didn’t complain. She didn’t pout or cry. Her courage in the face of a disease that is killing her was astonishing to me.

She reminded me that we are essentially all waiting for the same thing – she for medications, and I for a cure. We both wait for the suffering to end.

Pray this Christmas season for an end to the suffering. For this little girl and for all the others in the world suffering as she is.

2 comments:

Katzenivy said...

A well put reminded in this season of excess. I just wanted to tell you that I mailed a Christmas card to you today. You may remember me from Ann Farmer's house at your farewell party? I'll be thinking about you. Jenna

Lady E said...

My name is Emelda and i am from Cameroon currently residing in Rockwall,Tx .I am looking foreducational funding for an orphanage my mum just opened called Promise Center in Cameroon please if you could give me any information on how to raise funds i will be very greatful.My e-mail address is emel_ndi@yahoo.com.Thanks and God bless for all that you do.