Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On the ground!

Greetings from Tanzania! So, I apologize for the initial delay in writing but working out an internet connection is always challenging this far outside of any city, town, village.

But things are now off and running. This was my second full day at the clinic. I arrived safe and sound in Arusha last Wednesday evening and spent Thursday in Arusha visiting my friends at Cradle of Love Baby Home. I then came out here to Karatu on Friday morning after stopping at Shoprite for some groceries.

Shoprite is my barometer of Tazania's progress. Five years ago, on my first trip, Shoprite, a South African chain, had just been built and for the coming year the shelves remained only moderately stocked with basics that you could get anywhere in Arusha. A year later, on my second trip, the array of choices had improved but the shelves were not completely full and imports ran out quickly - if your timing was off you would only ever hear about the amazing things you could get there.

On my third and fourth trips, in the last year, vast improvements had been made. As my mom and last summers crew can attest to, shopping there had become quite fun. Things were almost always in stock and there were plenty of things that were worth the ridiculously high prices.

On this shopping trip - my fifth time in Tanzania - I almost fell over! The shelves can barely contain their contents! It was amazing!

Although, they were out of SweetnLow. A real bummer.

But, minus the SweetnLow, I made it up to Dr. Frank and Susan without a hitch and have begun work as their volunteer coordinator. We don't have any volunteers at the moment, so I have been doing what I do best; ORGANIZING. An enormous container full of ordered medical supplies arrived a few weeks ago and the enormous job of sorting, shelving and labeling all of these new supplies has fallen on my shoulders - without complaint. You should see what happens to my parents closets and cupboards at home when I have a day off!

The weather is lovely, cool mornings and warm afternoons, but the dust is incredible. This is the driest time of year and there is no avoiding it. I walked home from the clinic today - a forty minute walk - and by the time I got home I was covered in a thick layer of red clay dust.

That is all for now, off to dinner, Susan is a wonderful cook - especially with the limited supplies. I will be moving into my own rented house this weekend.

More to come ...

Miss you all ...

1 comment:

LaurieB said...

We're glad to hear you're there safe and sound and look forward to reading your blogs.
Laurie and Bill Buss